Being a better defensive driver can save you a lot of trouble, time, and money.
Here are some tips to help you prevent an accident.
- Avoid Distractions – While driving, you should always keep your focus on the road.
It may be difficult these days, but it is a must. That means, don’t text or talk on your cell phone,
Looking through your music files is just as distracting as texting so don’t dot it!
- Always be scanning the road – You should keep your eyes moving while scanning for potential dangers. Look for cars at intersections, driveways and approaching from behind.
Notice your surroundings, they can change at any second. Anticipate these potential accidents and you may be able to avoid a collision and the resulting serious injury.
- Watch for changing weather – Controlling your car in these situations is more difficult.
When it first rains, the road is extremely slippery due to a residue of oil coming out of vehicle’s exhaust
That is deposited on the road. After a heavy rainfall this dissipates, but that first 30 minutes can be very hazardous.
Drive slower, accelerate slower to avoid skidding, and increase your distance from the cars around you..
- Keeping your vehicle properly maintained is also very important – A safely maintained vehicle is important if you do all you can to avoid a serious injury accident. Make sure you tires are properly inflated, and all of your fluids are at the right levels.
Your turn signals should be checked and of course used every time you need to change lanes.
Wearing your seatbelt is not only the law but statistics always show it is a way to avoid serious injury.
- Don’t drive aggressively – One thing that you can do to avoid car accidents is yielding to other vehicles, whether you have
The right of way or not, if the other person is not paying attention, you pay extra attention to avoid a collision.
You might have to put your ego aside, but it will be worth it in the end. Don’t be in a hurry, budget extra time to get to your destination.
Tailgating another car is a sure way to get into an accident. If they are going too slow, wait until it is safe and clear to change lanes, and then, proceed to pass.
We guarantee getting into an accident will ruin your day. Driving defensively will help you avoid them.
Hurt in an accident? The professional attorneys at Phillips & Lyon can help.
There are no fees for us to review your case. Please complete the form on the right and we will contact you to discuss your case further. Contact us today!